Moegami – A work in progress

For those of you that don’t know me, I love video games. Always have. I see it as an amazing art form, a way of telling stories in a non conventional way. A good game is immersive and deep and takes you on a journey much the same way a good book does. The reason I bring this up is because my next piece is based on artwork from one of my favourite games, and easily one of the most beautiful games out there, Okami.

IMG_20180726_190348_874

I have the official art book for the game, and it’s easily my favourite and a great source of inspiration.

Before I started this piece, I knew it was going to be Moegami. He’s my favourite brush god in the game, because he’s a pipe smoking chicken. The art book states that hes a phoenix, but I mean, come on, he’s clearly a chicken.

I started off with a nice piece of Ash that my man very kindly cut and sanded down for me.

IMG_20180728_192937_385

We struggled a bit getting all the vertical lines out made when the log was sliced, but it was still a nice bit of wood. It measures roughly 15×10 inches, so its a good size to work with without being so big its over whelming.

This,  is Moegami

Moegami

I use Adobe Indesign for pretty much everything. In this instance I used it to resize the above image into one more suited for the wood I was working with. Then its just a case of transferring the image on to the wood. I use graphite paper for this. Dead easy and any mistakes can be rubbed out or scratched off with a sharp knife.

20180728_193220

Here you can see it just looks like it would had I drawn it on with a pencil. Sorted.

I think the actual burn took me around 3 hours? Ash is a new wood for me and it was a bit of a learning experience. I found it difficult to get a nice smooth line as the different ‘rings’ in the wood all had different burning temperatures. Luckily because of the art style used in Okami, I actually think it adds to the overall finish of the image.

20180728_213319

Once the lines were done, I decided it needed some colour. The wood is lovely but it just didnt look finished. After speaking to a few fellow burners online, someone suggested using water colour pencils, then going over it with a wet brush. I figured I didn’t have anything to loose so thought I’d give it a try…

IMG_20180729_184604_758

I’m pretty happy with how he turned out! The hardcore fans will notice he’s a little fatter than he should be. This was purely because I wanted to use the whole space available. And anyway, I don’t think it’s made a difference, I still love it.

He will be going up for sale on my Etsy page shortly! All thats left to do now is a few finishing touches. Wall hangers, a stand, and some varnish or something. Again, pretty experimental so I’ll be putting the end product up in a new blog.

If you have any questions about this piece, or about any steps I’ve not covered here, feel free to comment or use the contact page to get a hold of me! Alternatively you can follow me on FB and Insta, where I’m usually lurking all day 😀

-AFA

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s